POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Neptune seen from Triton wip : Re: Neptune seen from Triton wip Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Neptune seen from Triton wip
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Dec 2006 05:25:00
Message: <web.4581254b67574c2cf1cb1e660@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> "Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> schreef in bericht
> >
> > Well Thomas you do have good taste in SF. I'm looking forward to your
> > depiction of a sensory-syrynx :-) or even Dhalgren <g>
> > [snip]
> >
> Thank you Stephen! I am currently re-reading Delany's novels (Babel-17,
> Jewels of Aptor, Einstein Intersection, Fall of the Towers, Dhalgren, Nova),
> at the same time as I am (again) reading Brian Aldiss.

Cyber punk before it was thought of :-) I must find copies of these books
and reread them. I googled him yesterday and he looks really old in the
image below. His hair is almost as white as mine :-)
http://www.blackbird.vcu.edu/v2n2/features/delaney_s_030104/delaney_s.htm

> The syrynx is indeed on my wishlist and I have a couple of ideas about it.
> Delany's description is sketchy, but that leaves enough latitude to
> interpretation. The apparent mixture of different instruments (sitar,
> guitar, theremin, harp...) is very exciting.

> > The problem with RL is, it doesn't live up to the imagination. In most
> > things SF, artistic licence must be used.
> >
> Well, both views are correct, I think. RL often doesn't live up to
> imagination when you remember the revelation of the first photographs of
> Jupiter's moons for instance, or the first really close-up photographs of
> Mars. But happily, we are still entitled to artistic licence indeed!!
> However, I think that, unconsciously, I would like to re-create RL in
> POV-Ray!!  :-)

Best of British, mate!

Stephen